Book Review - Grant, the Savior of the Union by Marcus

This is the second book that I reviewed in this series, and I must say I am very impressed. Grant has never impressed me, and still does not. In fact, this book paints an even darker picture in my mind of the man known as the Savior of the Union. As a person, I think Grant was probably not a very likable person. As a General, he had his strong points, but I came away amazed at his ability to send thousands of men into death traps just to test the enemy.
I also came away impressed at the author’s ability to balance the good characteristic’s of Mr. Grant with the bad. While not afraid to sacrifice his men by the thousands, he also had a great mind when it came to figuring out where and how to attack the enemy.
It is a very balanced read that I believe is great history and an easy reading. Like in the Jackson book, my stomach turns at the thought of so many thousands of lives being sacrificed at the simple guess of a Commander or General. And yet I understand that this is real history, not something watered down to appear politically correct. This is pure history at it’s best.
Overall, this is an awesome book. It’s not boring, but yet it’s very detailed history. Whether you like Grant as a General or President or whether you don’t, this book is great reading. It’s well written history! It’s a great well-researched window into the past. This book was given to me free by booksneeze.com in exchange for my review. They in no way influenced this review.


Marcus

Comments